Courtesy of FDL, I see the Charlotte Observer has an interactive graph of Obama’s Cabinet nominees. It’s a handy little summary of professional and personal info on the 15 nominees, who are listed in order of presidential succession. Here’s a summary of a fairly well-rounded Cabinet:
Obama has nominated three women: Clinton, Solis (Labor), and Napolitano (Homeland Security).
Obama has nominated:
- one African-American (Holder for Justice; Holder is also Caribbean-American),
- one Mexican-American (Solis),
- one Arab-American (LaHood – Transportation),
- two Hispanics (Salazar – Interior, Richardson – Commerce),
- one Japanese-American (Shinseki – Vet Affairs), and
- one Chinese-American (Chu – Energy).
Think the 6 white guys can handle all this diversity? 😉
Two GOP nominees (Gates at Defense and LaHood), two House Reps (LaHood and Solis), two Democratic Senators (Clinton and Salazar), and two Democratic governors (Richardson and Napolitano) have been nominated. Richardson, Geithner, Holder and Donovan all worked in the Clinton Administration. Solis and Vilsack supported Sen. Clinton during the primaries.
State/regional representation includes:
- New York (Clinton, Donovan at HUD and Geithner is from the NY Fed),
- the West (Salazar from CO, Napolitano from AZ, Richardson from NM, and Solis and Chu are from CA),
- Illinois (Duncan at Education is from Chicago, and LaHood) and the North Midwest (Daschle at HHS is from SD and Vilsack at Agriculture is from Iowa).
Dr. Chu (Energy) is from academia, and a Nobel Prize winner. Donovan is an architect. Clinton, Napolitano, Vilsack, Holder and Salazar are lawyers. Daschle was in the Air Force. Shinseki graduated from the U.S. Military Academy. Gates was career CIA. Duncan, Donovan, Clinton and Holder are Ivy League alums (Harvard, Harvard, Yale Law, and Columbia).
Donovan is the youngest Cabinet member at 42; Shinseki is the oldest at 66. The average age is 56 (54 for the women, 56 for the men).
Of the three women candidates, Clinton is married with one child, Solis is married without children, and Napolitano is never married and has no children. Three working women = 2 husbands = 1 mother = 1 child.
All the men are married. Richardson has no children and Holder has one. LaHood has four kids, Daschle has three. The remaining eight men have two children each. 12 working men = 12 wives = 12 dads = 24 kids.