Top 10 Questions You’re Better Off Not Asking
1) Is that what you’re wearing?
(Got it, mom?)
2) Why don’t you have a boyfriend?
This might have been my LEAST favorite question of my 20′s, especially since it was so often asked in sympathy.
3) Do you think he’s “the one”?
Yeah, if we could not get into what I think of the concept of “soulmates” we’d probably all have a much more cheerful afternoon.
4) When are you two getting engaged/married?
5) When are you two having kids? A.k.a., when are you going to give us some grandkids?
6) What baby names are you thinking about?
I learned not to ask this one when I immediately, reflexively passed judgment on one of the options a friend of mine was considering. Now I try to never ask.
7) Are you breast feeding?
I’m also a guilty culprit on this one, as my friends/family are split about 50/50 between moms who switch to formula early on and women who breast feed for longer than 6 months, and so I like surveying mothers on this one. Apparently it’s a rough equivalent of asking single or unmarried women questions like #2 and #4, respectively. I try to turn it into a sympathetic space for venting for those who feel like they’re on the wrong side of the question to compensate for my prying, but maybe I should just stop asking instead.
8) Are you going to have anymore kids? (And then, of course: when?)
And what has become my most loathed question of my 30s:
9) What will you do once you finish your degree?
I can only think of these Top 9, so give me your suggestions for #10.